Saturday, January 14, 2012

My History With Makeup

Well this is my first post, obviously, so I think I should start off by explaining who I am and how it is that I got to the point that I wanted to make a blog dedicated to health and beauty on a budget.

I grew up in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  By the time I was in 3rd grade I had cemented myself in people's minds as the weird artsy girl.  I was eccentric, a little hyperactive, but I made friends relatively easily considering the fact that I was somehow also shy.  I had practically no interest in boys (unless you count The Backstreet Boys, but that was just the times then...) and had always thought that makeup was more or less meant to attract them.  So I never wore it because I didn't care enough.  I had plenty of it, though - you know those kits that you always seemed to get from one family member each Christmas when you were growing up?  Since I never touched it, I had so much of it.

I was 17 going on 18 when I finally started getting into makeup.  Predictably, it was because I had a crush on a boy from work and I thought he would think I was more attractive if I wore makeup.  Given, it probably would have helped if someone had taught me how to do it:


...Yup. That's me, 17 years old, with blue eyeshadow smudged all the way down to my cheeks. What the hell was I thinking?  At the time I was also too flinchy (despite that not being a word) to put eyeliner on my waterline, so I put it well below.  I also had a problem with blush: I didn't seem to know when was enough.  Here is a typical emo girl picture grabbed from my old MySpace account to explain:


If someone can see the blush on your face in a badly filtered Photoshop picture like this, you're doing something way wrong.

Here are some more of my makeup faux-pas...




And a particularly bad one from prom when I had been going to the tanning salon to prepare and somehow thought going with light makeup would look AWESOME:


I basically had no idea what I was doing.  But eventually through college I started to get the hang of it, but I never branched out with colors. I shied away from any eyeshadow that didn't fall in the pink / brown category.  Then something happened, something that really sucked but opened my eyes somehow.

This past October, I lost my ENTIRE MAKEUP COLLECTION.

I had an ugly silver snakeskin-patterned makeup box that I kept all of my supplies in.  Because it was Halloween weekend and my fiance had a fencing tournament at 7AM, I brought my makeup with me to the gym and somehow left it there.  I never found it, which meant I had to go without makeup for more than a month.  I was pissed off because I didn't have the money to buy all new makeup.  I knew how expensive it was to even get an eyeliner sometimes.  Luckily, my sister had let me borrow some of hers when I came home for Thanksgiving break.  This is what she showed me:

This is the Sephora Collection Buildable Cover Complexion Kit (for light skin).  I had never ever bought anything from Sephora in my life, though I'd been in the store multiple times in high school while shopping with one of my good friends, who was a Sephora / Ulta/ MAC maniac.  I couldn't see how she had the money to spend so much on makeup.  She bought something every time we were out.  But then I liked this kit so much that I looked it up.  On the website, it was only $22!  This was now around the same time that Amazon.com released the Wish List Extension for Google Chrome so I added it to my wishlist.  My sister bought it for me as an early Christmas gift, along with these two wonderful sets:


The Stila Lip Glaze Set (I'm missing one of them in this picture, oops!), $25



I started to realize that makeup didn't need to be expensive.  And I could be good at it if I tried.  Hell, I always did the makeup for my friends during photoshoots and they liked it!  I just wasn't willing to spend a fortune on things.  So I decided to combine my obsession with bargain hunting with my love of makeup.  This is not just a blog for bargain hunting, but also a journey for me to get better at applying makeup and broadening my scope when it comes to color combinations.  Let's see what we can do with this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment